Crafters unite; it’s the season to celebrate! Don’t toss those scraps, gather around for a simple sewing pattern that is sure to winner.
Today I’m sharing my version of the Coffee Cup Cozy. It’s a neat, convenient way to hold your daily cup of tea or coffee, without the added waste of the cardboard ring. Plus, it doubles as a fun fashion accessory, when you slide it back down on to your wrist when not in use. See, it’s a winner
For your convenience, I’ve included a PDF Pattern with Instructions, in addition to several pictures to ease in your preparation. If you don’t have a sewing machine, it’s okay. With patience and a few band-aids (or a thimble), this one can be done by hand.
First, let’s look at the layout:
- Pattern will yield one coffee cup cozy.
- Two coordinating fat quarters (18″x22″ fabric pieces) will yield up to 8 cozies, depending on fabric pattern repeat and layout. Scraps are fine, if you just want one or two. Even cuter, mix it up and do a Patchwork design – let your imagination be your guide.
- Cozy is insulated to help protect from heat.
- Using a flat, one-inch button on both sides will make it reversible.
- Ideal size for small to large retail coffee cups.
- Doubles as a decorative wrist cuff when not in use.
- Machine Washable.
Over the years I’ve made these for teachers, aunts, friends; even my brother. Everytime someone finds out about them, I get another request. Don’t forget the Mommy & Me crowd, they make great shower gifts (pair with a box of fennel tea for nursing moms).
So make a stack, people love them – and they will love you for making them one. A great way to present the Coffee Cup Cozy is to fill a retail or reusable coffee cup full of treats, then dress it with the Cozy, before wrapping it in cellophane and topping it off with a decorative ribbon. It’s an affordable, yet nice way to let someone know they’re appreciated.
Here are a few tips to ensure success through this project:
- Gather all of your supplies before you begin.
- Look for the highest quality fabric you can afford. (Be sure to search your scrap fabric, or consider upcycling from unfinished projects, linens or clothing).
- 100% Cotton: Quilters Quality Recommended.
- For fabric supply, check out my Etsy shop, or locally owned quilt shops.
- Schedule a time when you can work without disruption.
- Make one for yourself to enjoy.
Pattern PDF includes a measured scale. Please verify for accuracy, and size accordingly prior to cutting. Print and cut the pattern out. I recommend transferring pattern to heavy cardstock, for continued use.